Start a Practice

This checklist is to assist you in identifying and clarifying administrative details that should be accomplished when establishing a new medical practice or relocating an office to Montgomery County, Maryland. It outlines many of the requirements of establishing a practice and includes referrals to agencies that will be of assistance.

Join Montgomery County Medical Society
Call 301-921-4300 to speak to someone about membership, or go to "Become a Member" on our Membership Page for our downloadable membership application.

Professional Licensing
Questions concerning licensing and re-licensing should be directed to the Board of Physician Quality Assurance (BPQA), 4201 Patterson Avenue, 3rd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21215. Telephone (410) 764-4777 or (800) 492-6836.

State Narcotics Number
You must register with the Division of Drug Control, DHMH, 4201 Patterson Avenue, 1st Floor, Baltimore, MD 21215. Telephone (410) 764-2890 to obtain an application. (It takes 6-8 weeks for processing.)

Federal Narcotics Number
Contact the Drug Enforcement Agency for an application. Telephone (202) 307-1000, ext. 1.

Malpractice Insurance
Information and coverage can be obtained through the MedChi Insurance Agency, Telephone (800) 543-1264. Contact person: Shelly Brouse, Ron Kendall, or Keith Mathis.

Personal Property Tax
Register for State tax purposes with the Maryland Department of Assessment and Taxation, 51 Monroe Street, Rockville, MD 20850. Telephone (301) 279-1329. This is necessary for filing your personal property return for an individual practice.

FICA and Federal Withholding Tax (Social Security)
To obtain an application for an Employer Identification Number, contact the Internal Revenue Service, Telephone (800) 829-1040. The IRS will answer any Federal tax questions you may have, including information on employer's contribution to Social Security.

State Unemployment Insurance
For information on an employer's contribution to unemployment insurance, contact the Office of Unemployment Insurance Employers Line

Workmen's Compensation
Maryland State Law requires that employees be covered by Workmen's Compensation Insurance. If you expect to have employees, arrange for coverage by contacting an insurance carrier. Any claims or further information may be directed to your carrier or the Workmen's Compensation Commission, 6 North Liberty, Baltimore, MD 21202. Telephone (800) 492-0479.

Provider Numbers
Provider numbers for CareFirst Blue Cross/Blue Shield (410) 528-7160. Provider numbers for MMAP (Medicaid) may be obtained from the Medical Care Operations Administration (MCOA), Provider Enrollment Section, P.O. Box 17030, Baltimore, MD 21203. Telephone (410) 767-5340.